Your NHS is still here for you when you need us

Posted by: Mark - Posted on:

It’s important that if you, or your loved ones, become suddenly unwell you get help quickly. Any delay could lead to disability or even death. We have developed the information below to help you understand when you need to ring 999 or go to A&E, when you should contact your GP practice and when other healthcare options would be better for you including online resources.

Your NHS is still here for you flyer

We want to keep everyone safe and would welcome you sharing our messages with your family and friends. You can help us do this by sharing the messages in our social media plan [practices to link to social media plan]

To help you here’s examples of when you need to contact 999 or go to A&E.

When to call 999 and attend A&E:

  • Choking
  • Chest pain
  • Blackout
  • Severe bleeding
  • A serious injury
  • If you think you’re having a stroke

Here’s when you should contact your GP practice

When to see your GP

Call your GP if you have the following:

  • Concerns regarding ongoing conditions
  • Ear discharge / pain
  • Rashes
  • Stomach ache
  • Any cancer symptoms such as lump in your breast, changes in bowel habits, blood in your pee or poo, unexplained weight loss, moles that appear to change or cough that you’ve had for three weeks or more (see for more information)

If you have coronavirus symptoms, please mention this when calling your GP practice, calling 999 or when you arrive at A&E.